Monday, April 13, 2015

Final Long Run Before Boston

This week brought another round of amazing donations from friends, family and colleagues and I am so thankful for their support!  A huge high five to Jonathan S., Jim P. & Thom K., Amy P., Noelle and Nicholas (and Lauren and Nick) L.F., Holly and Jaci S, and Linda M. for their donations!!! 

I can never say enough that these donations don't just indicate support of me, but to the 2,300 men, women and families Victory Programs serves every year.  I work for a wonderful nonprofit that does amazing work and your kind gift help us keep on going!

If you'd like to make a donation, please visit my Crowdrise fundraising page, here.  Donations will continue to be accepted until May 30.

Team Meeting & Singlet Day!

First off, I want to come right out and say, that I stuck with my friend Ian's advice when he said, "If your knee hurts just stop running."  I did do my final long run on Sunday (more on that in a bit), but I took the week off to allow my knee to feel better.

Team Victory L to R: Mike, me, Brian and Ashley
On Monday, our amazing Team Victory coordinator, Shauna Helton, gathered the team together for dinner at one of our programs - the Boston Living Center - for dinner and to pass out our singlets.  I was so excited to meet a few more members of the team and to get my hands on my Team Victory jersey!  I couldn't wait to see it - and even more importantly - couldn't wait to wear it on my final long run.

4 of our 7 team members were able to make the dinner, but it was so great to spend some time chatting about our training and getting advice and support from each other.  It doesn't take runners long to become friends - especially when you're all on this insane journey at the same time.  There's talk of long runs and KT tape and sneakers.  It was really fun.

Shauna presented us with our singlets and I love the bright orange color!  You'll definitely be able to see us coming AND it will go well with my purple/orange/white 2015 Boston Marathon jacket :)

How to Keep Tabs on Me on Marathon Monday

The Boston Athletic Association and AT&T have teamed up to offer text alerts on Marathon day.  All you need to do to follow me (or any of your friends/family running the race) is text my bib number - 28145 - to 234567 and you'll be alerted when I cross the 10k, Half Marathon (13.1), 30k, 40k, 45k and Finish Line.  Text messaging rates may apply.

The charity runners are in the 4th wave, which begins at 11:15 am.

I think this is a really great program.  I'm glad my friends and family who will be out to cheer me on will be able to know when I'm close by so they don't have to wait for hours scanning the runners trying to find me.  And of course anyone who can't make it to the route at all will be able to stay notified as well!

Final Long Run!

Like I mentioned earlier, I didn't run a step this week until my final long run on Sunday.  I had 8 miles planned as dictated in the Hal Higgdon plan, which I have been trying to follow.  I also knew I wanted to run the monthly Slumbrew American Fresh 5k fun run at 11am on Sunday so my plan was to do 5 miles on my own before hand and then meet up with the group at Assembly Row for the last 3 miles.

I put on my race day outfit - Team Victory singlet and a pair of capri's my friend Heather lent me (thanks Heather!) because they have two pockets on the sides and I had been stressing over where I would carry my phone, fuel and inhaler (a precaution just in case) without my big ol' running jacket that had accompanied me all winter long.  I wanted to make sure everything felt good and comfortable and would work for me on the big day. One of the biggest rules of thumb in racing - no matter what the length - is never wear something new because you don't know how it's going to feel.  I made this mistake once before and ended up having to pull my pants up every quarter mile for four miles ::eye roll::

I decided to run to the Somerville Bike Path through Davis Sq. and to the Mass. Ave. intersection and back for my 5 mile run.  I figured that would bring me back to my house with about 10 minutes to spare and I could walk to Assembly for the 5k.  Welp, I kind of missed the mark.  I ended up at the Mass. Ave. intersection right as scheduled - 2.5 miles in, but I got a little distracted on the way back.

The Somerville Bike Path has been in the process of expanding and for the first time I noticed the construction gates were open and people were walking around!  I couldn't resist the urge to go check it out.  After all, what harm could it so since it was the direction I was headed anyway?  Turns out, the path extension loops around at the end, so I ended up having to go back before heading home.  When I hit mile 5, I was on Broadway with 5 minutes to go before the 11am start time at Assembly. 

I stopped and walked for a bit to decide what to do.  Should I just do the last three miles alone and skip the run?  What is they start a little late and I can still make it?  I decided to turn Run Keeper back on and run to Assembly and meet up with the group wherever they were.

A mile later, I caught the Slumbrew crew and they had pretty much just started!  I knew this meant that my 8 miler was going to be a 9 miler instead.  That was ok since I hadn't run a step all week and my body needed a little reminder of what I am asking it to do in just a handful of days :)

Per tradition, our team leader Dani took a group photo.  Ain't we good lookin?  It was amazing to run in truly beautiful weather and I was heartened by the fact that I did not need my inhaler.



7 Days to Go!

Today is Monday, April 13 and although this day should technically end up in next week's entry, I am including this one little item here.  A few months back I saw on Twitter that Wellesley was taking requests for personalized signs for the Scream Tunnel on Marathon day.  I am told this is an epic experience and that you can hear the Wellesley students yelling and cheering on runners for up to a half mile before you actually see them - this phenomenon is known as the Scream Tunnel. A group of the women from the college also make signs - personalized for runners who request them - to hold during the race.  I cannot think of a more selfless, fun and inspiring tradition!  When I saw the call for requests, I couldn't help but put one in.  I know I'll need that extra motivation come Wellesley! Today, I saw mine of Facebook!  I am over the moon at how great it is and I cannot wait to see it on the big day!

Thanks, Wellesley ladies!  This means so much!Also, the cat looks just like my Yoda :)

So friends, this is it.  My next recap will come after Marathon Monday.  I have Tuesday off and will spend my time letting you know how it all went.  I want nothing more than to finish the Marathon on my feet with a smile on my face and representing Victory Programs and making them proud.

Thanks for following me along on the insane journey.  Only 26.2 miles worth of steps left to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment